Global Webinar Series 2021-2022
Dear Friends and Colleagues,
In these challenging times, we hope that you, your family and colleagues are all safe. The COVID-19 pandemic has affected the world in ways that are still challenging to fully comprehend. COVID-19 has caused death and disability with both massive societal and personal hardships. While we look forward to the eventual return to a more stable and normal time, there remains uncertainty regarding when that will occur.
Covid-19 has fundamentally changed the way we currently approach travel and education. As a result, this year the Annual Hydrocephalus Society Meeting, scheduled for Gothenburg, Sweden, was postponed until September 2021.
We all feel the void left by the necessity associated with postponement of the Gothenburg meeting. The Hydrocephalus Society Board of Directors, after consulting with our community, has developed a virtual scientific and educational program consisting of six webinars dealing with idiopathic Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus (iNPH) to provide hydrocephalus-related educational opportunities.
The Hydrocephalus Society Global Webinar Series on iNPH 2020-2021 will consist of six 60-minute webinars occurring monthly between the 20th of November 2020 and the 24th of April 2021. The timing of the webinars varies from month to month to allow a rotation of favorable European, Asian and American time zones.
These webinars will draw on the clinical and scientific expertise of experts in the field of iNPH and will be provided completely free of charge. These sessions are open to a worldwide audience with preregistration required. This webinar program has been accredited by the EACCME. The webinars will eventually be available on the Hydrocephalus Society website.
Your involvement in the Hydrocephalus Society is very important to all of us. Until we meet again in the real world, let’s connect online and declare our presence together with this exciting educational opportunity.
On behalf of the Hydrocephalus Society Board, Mark Hamilton, President
The Hydrocephalus Society is delighted to announce the Hydrocephalus Society Global Webinar Series on iNPH 2020-2021! A series of 6 monthly webinars will take place, beginning from November 2020 until April 2021. In these challenging times, our duty is to support our community in all ways possible. For this reason, the Hydrocephalus Society board of directors has decided to provide the webinars completely free of charge. We have structured the webinars to favor the European, Asian and American time zones by turns. Registration and more information will become available very soon!
If you are interested in supporting the Hydrocephalus Society Global Webinar Series 2020-2021, please contact us: email@example.com
Part 1 – Clinical Work-up
20 November 2020
1. When should we suspect iNPH? (Intro, epidemiology)
2. Which are the typical clinical symptoms? The clinical syndrome of iNPH: gait & balance, cognition, urinary
3. The typical radiological picture. CT, MR
Part 2 – Diagnosing iNPH, differential diagnoses and comorbidities
12 December 2020
1. The most important clinical iNPH mimics and co-morbidities (Movement disorders, AD/other dementias, cerebrovascular disease etc) and how to handle these
2. Diagnostic algorithm (Clinical syndrome including atypical features + MR/CT)
Part 3 – Decision for shunt surgery. The role of predictive tests and biomarkers
15 January 2021
1. Predictive value of clinical and radiological features
2. The role of ancillary tests (CSF TT, ELD, Infusion tests, ICP monitoring)
Part 4 – Treatment
27 February 2021
1. Hydrocephalus shunt-valves
2. Ventriculoperitoneal and ventriculoatrial shunts
3. Lumboperitoneal shunts
4. ETV in NPH
Part 5 – Complications and how to handle them
19 March 2021
1. Infections. Antibiotics impregnated catheters
2. Shunt failure/Shunt obstruction
Part 6 – Outcome
24 April 2021
1. Clinical symtoms, short- and long-term
2. HRQoL, mortality, cost-effectiveness
3. When is reprogramming of an adjustable valve indicated?